Music Jams at Lindy Focus
We have a long tradition of informal swing music playing at camp, which are attended by amateurs and pros alike, 'til the wee hours of the morning. Bring your instrument to join in!
MEET YOUR HOST
Shannon Lea Watkins will be the official host and facilitator of these jams, to prevent them from going the way of the wild west. She won’t be present for every moment of playing, but will generally oversee the happenings, and be there to encourage respectful jam behavior, inclusiveness, and musical good taste! Huge thanks to Shannon for taking on this incredible task of cat-herding.
JAM BOOKS / MATERIALS
Are available HERE along with some important reading and great community conversation!
LATE NIGHT JAMS
Every evening after the main dance there will be a jam near the lobby by the fireplace. This is where the bulk of the playing happens! But there are also several specialized sessions we want you to know about:
- 12/27 5:30-6:00pm - LF Jam Culture & Etiquette (in a classroom, not out in the lobby) - REQUIRED! Please attend this short little session if you plan to participate in the jams, it will get everyone on the same page!
- 12/27 6:00-9:30pm - Welcome Jam - an extended early-evening collective music experience to get the ball rolling.
- 12/28 12:15-1:15pm - Rhythm Section Fundamentals for Music Jams - Not so much a class as just an excuse to get all the rhythm players together to work on fundamentals and owning your support role.
- 12/28 4:00-6:00pm - Vocalist Primer for Music Jams - Vocalists and aspiring vocalists of any level are welcome to this session, where we’ll talk about how a vocalist can get the most out of a music jam situation.
- 12/29 4:00-6:00pm - Women and Nonbinary Music Jam - This has previously been an informal activity led by women in the community just to get a little jam time without men present to build confidence and camaraderie. We love that it happens, so now it’s on the official schedule!